Here maybe a solution to speech in X Windows:

Saqib Shaikh S.Shaikh at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Mar 24 02:51:52 EST 2004

Hi Sean

I do agree with what you're saying, but you can't treat the Windows and Unix
worlds alike.  There are two key points here:
1.  Sec508 has existed for some years now.
2.  Apple introduced accessibility into OS x from the start, meaning
anything written for OS x is likely to be accessible.  They're saying 90%.
Similarly Gnome accessibility was built in from the beginning of 2.0, which
was a whole rewrite from 1.4.  So Anyone who wrote a vaguely standard app
for Gnome 2 will have accessibility built in.
3.  I should also ad that while Windows doesn't really contain any useful
software, both Gnome and Osx do.

I'm not saying that OSM approaches are redundant, just that they are not as
necessary as for Windows, and also are very hackish to implement.

Saqib