Here maybe a solution to speech in X Windows:

Saqib Shaikh S.Shaikh at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Mar 23 23:55:38 EST 2004

I very very much doubt this.  It's the same story with Windows, Osx, Gnome
and Java:
* If the developer uses standard GUI components like buttons and check
boxes, there's no problem.
* If the developer creates a new type of GUI control, like a 27 state check
box then they must use the provided APIs to specify what the control is
displaying, and also allow another program to change its sate.  Java, the
Win32API, Apple's Carbon/Cocoa, and GTK all provide this functionality.
* If an application uses custom GUI controls, and does not use the
accessibility API provided, then it is not officially accessible.  However a
screen reader may be able to capture video signals sent to the graphics
card, and figure out what's happening.  This is what JAWS, Window Eyes and
Hal do.  However, I am sure that the Gnome and Osx developers would prefer
people to use the accessibility API rather than hacking the system like is
necessary under Windows.
Aqib Shaikh