alphas and linux

Garry Turkington garry.turkington at acm.org
Tue Mar 23 17:17:20 EST 2004

Hi Alex,

Best bet for an Alpha is likely one of the EV56 chips on the SX-164 series
of motherboards.  I've got a mangled Red Hat install on one of these which
I plan to migrate to Debian when I get some time.  Beauty of this platform
is that its an ATX board that takes standard memory and even PCI cards -
so your chances of putting together a full system with bits lying in the
cupboard are pretty high.  The boards are available readily on eBay, I
looked into getting one when my Alpha looked sick last year, though it
happily recovered.  Of course you'll likely get an old AlphaStation for a
pretty low price anyway if you want to buy something ready to go.

Check out www.alphalinux.org which I just see talks of an upcoming Fedora
port for the Alpha, hurrah!

Regards,
Garry