ram question

talmage at somtel.com talmage at somtel.com
Tue Mar 23 08:29:25 EST 2004

Hi Greg,

A couple more things you can try.

Pass the mem= 512M argument to the kernel to try and force the issue.  This
is a kernel argument, not specific to grub, lilo, loadlin, etc.

You may have tried this , but if you did I missed it, try just the two
128MB memory to see what you get.
Some motherboards, especially the older ones, can be fussy about not only
mixing memory speed, but also different makes as well, and as someone has
already pointed out meaybe you have a bad 128 board.

Finally, if all else has failed, when you have your sighted assistance, try
manually setting the mem speed in bios all to the speed of the slowest, and
perhaps even increasing wait cycles.

Dave