ram question

Shane Wegner shane-keyword-speakup.aca783 at cm.nu
Mon Mar 22 16:38:52 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 02:54:51PM -0600, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> I just installed a 256M ram chip in my server. This gives me 256M of
> ram in bank1, 128M in bank2, and 128M ram in bank 3, which should
> compute to a total of 512M of ram.
> However, in my dmesg output, I get:
> 383MB LOWMEM available.

Hi,

Is this a server board or a standard motherboard.  My Intel
server board requires matched pairs of sdram installed in
banks 1/2 3/4 and 5/6 respectively as it uses interleaving.
If the option exists in the bios, you can try turning off
memory interleaving.  Even better, try moving the 256mb
chip into bank 3 and match the 2 128mb chips into banks 1
and 2.

Hth,
Shane

--