knowing when the computer is booted

Doug Sutherland wearable at cogeco.ca
Mon Mar 22 00:03:55 EST 2004

Roy,

Like I said, the command lsmod (list modules) will tell you which
drivers are loaded. So, after you do the aumix -q which you said
gets audio working, type lsmod. Then look for module names that
probably will be via82cxxx_audio or ac97_codec.

Try doing lsmod before activiating the sound, note which modules
are loaded, then activate the sound (aumix), and run lsmod to see
which new drivers are loaded.

What I am getting at here is that any kernel module can be loaded
with the modprobe command. So, for example, if your sound card
uses via82cxxx_audio, the command modprobe via82cxxx_audio will
load that module.

The 'proper' way to do this depends on which linux distribution
you use, but one way that will surely work is to add the modprobe
command to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

I am using a via ac97 audio controller on a small embedded board.
It works with both the linux native via82cxxx_audio driver and
the ALSA driver snd-via82xx.

After booting, before trying the aumix command, try doing
modprobe via82cxxx_audio. If that works, then you can add a
line in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local that loads the driver.

The loading of drivers can get complicated, depending on what
distribution you use (which do you use?), but you can brute force
your driver to load with modprobe. You just need to know the name
of the module. lsmod will tell you that, once you have it loaded.