New Product! DEC-TALK Express USB or RS232!

Saqib Shaikh S.Shaikh at sussex.ac.uk
Sun Mar 21 23:20:15 EST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca [mailto:speakup-bounces at braille.uwo.ca]
On Behalf Of ameer armaly
Sent: 22 March 2004 02:18
To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
Subject: Re: New Product! DEC-TALK Express USB or RS232!

> and will it support flashing old firmware; I hate the newer sound.  Also,
will it use > > the same command set?

Alas, this is my guess about what they've done.  The specs say it has a
150mhz processor.  Now that's not something you can put inside an analogue
circuit as used by old hardware synths.  So my guess that the folks have
simply got a small form factor computer with a 150mhz processor on it, put
Linux and Fonix DECTalk on it, and a little daemon that listens for signals
from the USB port and makes DECTalk Software do the talking.  This is all
pure guesswork, but I can't see why else they'd need a 150mhz processor in
there.

Saqib