Spoken interface for Mac OS X

Saqib Shaikh S.Shaikh at sussex.ac.uk
Sun Mar 21 23:13:49 EST 2004

Yes, very true Janina.  As a developer I've spent quite a bit of time
looking at their accessibility support which is very similar to MSAA, except
that it goes further.  I also *think* it is similar to the Gnome
accessibility, but haven't had much experience of the latter .

All software written since OS x 10.2 was released will be accessible, and
this may well include many shareware apps that can be downloaded from the
internet, but will definitely not include any Microsoft products, including
Office X, Internet Explorer or MSN Messenger.  Office is the only one I'd
want to use anyway.  Also apps like Norton Antivirus/Systemworks may not
initially be accessible.  This is all because they existed under OS9, and
the developers have just ported them to OS x using Carbon, which doesn't get
accessibility by default (only Cocoa apps do).  But, with the 508
legislation etc this could change.

But I don't want this to negate the great stuff that Apple is doing - I
believe that all Apple software, such as the Ilife suite, is written in an
accessible way (or will be modified to be cccessible very soon).

Saqib