Spoken interface for Mac OS X

Bob Dodd Bob.Dodd at rocketmail.com
Sun Mar 21 07:09:55 EST 2004

Hi Darrell,

"we totals get the shortest possible end of the stick". I'm really
sorry that you feel like that, you must have had some rotten
experiences.

I come at tools such as Speakup from a different angle. I'm a (sighted)
researcher at the Uniersity of Teesside, doing a PhD in the mobile
device accessibility (phones, PDAs, E-Books, MP3 players, that sort of
thing). I sotrt of got into accessibility through family experiences:
my dad lost his ability to speak through a faulty medical procedure,
and my cousin Paul has multiple sclerosis, my cousin Christine has
cognitive problems caused by severe epilepsy, and my niece has
dyscalculia. It's my cousin Paul that's most relevant here.

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a degenerative disease of the central
nervous system (CNS), and it's a weird, weird disease. It can affect
any part of the CNS, but not consistently. Literally, at least in the
early stages of the disease, you can go running in the morning, and not
be able to stand in the afternoon. There are lots of symptoms, the ones
Paul, who is in the progressive phase of the disease, has include
having no sense of touch, vertigo, blurred/double vision, severe muscle
spasms, and a lack of fine motor control (so he has difficulty pressing
keys on the keyboard even if he can see them). His vision problmes are
why I'm looking at Speakup.

For Paul, he needs text-to-speech (TTS) because even though he can see
after a fashion, and if you don't mind two of everything dancing in
front of you, he can't look at the scren for very long without his
vision getting progressively worse. And concentrating on the screen
tends to set off his vertigo and spasms. He can look long enough (with
big text or a magnifier application) to start an application, but he
can't sit in front of the PC for more than five minutes doing any work.
Tools like Speakup help him confirm what he's seeing, and allow him to
read e-books without having to stare at the screen. TTS also manages to
lengthen the time he can spend at his PC before his symptoms take over.
Tools like Speakup and Jaws (not my favourite tool I have to say) allow
 Paul to have a private life and live at home, paying his own bills,
shopping, sending emails to his girlfriend etc. As his condition
worstens, it will become increasing the only way he can have any
quality of life at all.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that TTS for people who are totally
blind is very important, but you don't have to be totally blind to have
to rely on TTS. I hope learning about MS will improve your tolerance
level a little.

/bob