Word Perfect: Not Dead Yet

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sat Mar 20 10:39:25 EST 2004

Put away that embalming fluid. While WordPerfect for DOS (and Linux) may not have a corporate sponsor any longer, it is by no means dead. For all kinds of useful up to date WordPerfect information, including how to run it under Linux, go to:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/

CAUTION: Getting WordPerfect for DOS working under Linux as it did when we used DOS is not trivial. You will need your old DOS screen reader, for example. Or, to put it more precisely, you'll need all those extensive set files that made a rather inaccessible interface very accessible. I suppose someone might rewrite those set files for Speakup--but that's an even larger chore and would also require some additions to Speakup itself, s I understand it.

PS: There was a WordPerfect for Unix that was character-based. It had the 5.1 version number. I have tried to find it several times and have been unsuccessful.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development