Word Perfect: in memorium

talmage at somtel.com talmage at somtel.com
Sat Mar 20 10:31:02 EST 2004

With all the different references to WordPerfect, I think the original
request is being forgotten.

Whoever it was that started this thread was looking for a copy of the old
WordPerfect V5.1 for Unix that ran in text mode.  Now I know that back in
the late 80's when WordPerfect was still a standalone company, there were
versions of WP5.1 that ran in Unix, as well as Xenix, but I have know idea
of when they phased out the text interface in favor of the x-windows product.
Apparently, the more recent versions that are available for Unix or Linux
run in the x-windows environment.  About this I don't know, I'm just trying
to clarify the original request as it seems that some of the direction this
thread has taken has caused some confusion.
I do agree however, that a look at the old text based WP5.1 for Unix would
be interesting to play with, but I imagine you would have to find it at a
computer flea market or liquidator, since it was never open source or free
as far as I know.