Here maybe a solution to speech in X Windows:

Marshall F. Scott scott at cvrti.utah.edu
Thu Mar 18 12:53:23 EST 2004

Hi All,
Our shop is almost execlusively Mac and I can't tell you how long I've been
waiting for this.  I've filled out the form and if I get picked    (and
Apple doesn't slap and HDA on me!)  one of the first things I'll try is
X-Windows.  I don't think it will work, but who knows.
Marshall

--
Marshall F. Scott
University of Utah