having trouble connecting to a ssh connection to a remote computer

Charles Crawford ccrawford at Starpower.net
Sun Mar 14 07:11:39 EST 2004

You are quite right.  Of course whoever gets on needs to know the root
password.  Still, I agree that except for when there is no alternative,
root is not the best idea.

	Thanks.

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Darrell Shandrow wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> It is never a good idea to directly allow a root login over any sort of
> remote connection, including SSH.  It is better to allow a "regular user"
> type login over SSH, then use su for a root login or sudo for the execution
> of commands as the root user.
>
> Darrell Shandrow - Shandrow Communications!
> Technology consultant/instructor, network/systems administrator!
> A+, CCNA, Network+!
> Check out high quality telecommunications services at http://ld.net/?nu7i
> All the best to coalition forces carrying out Operation Iraqi Freedom!

-- Charlie Crawford