having trouble connecting to a ssh connection to a remote computer

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Mar 12 04:49:57 EST 2004

I had that very thing happen to me recently on one of my local boxes
here.  Check the permissions on the /dev files.  Namely, /dev/pty/*
which get created dynamically or /dev/ttyp* if you aren't using the
newer style.  On my machine, somehow those perms got set to
read-only.  I think it happened to me when I migrated some stuff from
another hard drive.  It should be world writable.  Sorry I'm not
clearer than this but I'd have to go over there and look at all the
dev files I messed with.  It is mainly terminal realated stuff I'm
talking about.  Changing the perms fixed it for me.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 10:18:46PM -0700, Scott Berry wrote:
> I am wondering what would cause a permission denied statement while
> connecting to a remote computer.  I am trying to help someone get his
> Linux system set up but not sure what I need to have him do to fix this
> problem.
>

> Scott Berry
> Please remove the .nospam at the end of my emails to get in contact with
> me or click here.
> mailto:scott at drscott.dyndns.biz

HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!