Which version of Linux?

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Wed Mar 10 14:43:11 EST 2004

Hi Vick. You probably won't be running the ex windows stuff, at least
not for a while.  Gnopernicus, the ex windows screen reader, is still
very much alpha software, and can't really do anything at the moment,
except cruise the windows desk top.  It can't even look at the ex windows
help system, let alone browse the web.  People who think they will have
access to the ex windows environment soon are engaging in some serious
fantasizing.

However, under Linux, not having access to ex windows is not really
important, since almost everything you want to do can be done from the
text console using Speakup.  By the way, when and if the Gnopernicus
folks ever get their act together, you can disable Speakup on the
console where your ex windows session is running.

As to which distribution to use, it's pretty much your choice.  Some
folks like Redhat, some folks like Slackware, and some folks like
Debian.  In order to decide which is for you, visit the various web
sites for the different distributions, and read, read, read the
installation documents and users guides.  Linux has a farely steep
learning curve when compared with Windows or DOS, but the pay off is
unbelievable.  Multiple consoles, running multiple tasks and multiple
user sessions.  Not to mention the stability you get from Linux, where
your machine can stay up for years at a time, as opposed to minutes at a
time for Windows.

If I seem to be evading your question, I'm not.  It's just that reading
is the best way for you to answer this question.  We get newbees who
come the list all the time and ask this question, and the distro wars
get started all over again.  The choice of which distribution to use is
a very subjective and personal choice.   I use Debian because I like
it's package manager.  Others use other distributions for other reasons.
Whatever you decide to use, welcome to the list.  We'll try to answer
your questions.  Sometimes you'll get a very specific answer, and
sometimes you'll get directed to a source for more reading.  It's all in
an attempt to help you learn and to get the most from your use of Linux.
Good luck, and have fun.

Gene

>Hi all,
>
>I am a very very newbie just deciding to set up my very first Linux system.  I
 am an experienced DOS/Windows user, however.  It is a Pentium 200 MMX with 4.3
 gb hd and 32 mb ram.  At this point, I am trying to decide whether I should go
 with Debian, Red Hat, or Slackware.  What are the pros and cons, differences a
nd similarities of these flavors of Linux?

>Also, I eventually want to experiment with the Gnome Desktop and the access to
ols for that.  Can this be installed and ran under any of the above distributio
ns of Linux?  Is it possible to disable Speakup when you go into a graphical en
vironment like Gnome?  How?  If not, how would one accomplish getting them to c
oexist on the same system and still have speech all the time?

>thanks a lot for all your help in advance.  If I decide to go ahead with this
experiment, you will be hearing from me plenty of times I am sure.  Bye for now
.