Which version of Linux?

Vic Beckley vbeckley at wilkshire.net
Sun Mar 7 21:35:01 EST 2004

Hi all,

I am a very very newbie just deciding to set up my very first Linux system.  I am an experienced DOS/Windows user, however.  It is a Pentium 200 MMX with 4.3 gb hd and 32 mb ram.  At this point, I am trying to decide whether I should go with Debian, Red Hat, or Slackware.  What are the pros and cons, differences and similarities of these flavors of Linux?

Also, I eventually want to experiment with the Gnome Desktop and the access tools for that.  Can this be installed and ran under any of the above distributions of Linux?  Is it possible to disable Speakup when you go into a graphical environment like Gnome?  How?  If not, how would one accomplish getting them to coexist on the same system and still have speech all the time?

thanks a lot for all your help in advance.  If I decide to go ahead with this experiment, you will be hearing from me plenty of times I am sure.  Bye for now.

Best Regards from Ohio, U.S.A.
Vic
MailTo:vbeckley at wilkshire.net