mail viruses

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Mar 7 08:54:34 EST 2004

I don't wanna sound cocky or any of that, but if Linux were used to
run the mail client most of this would *NEVER* happen.  The "zip bomb"
sounds interesting though; Linux users could be affected by this too
if they go off and blindly unzip the thing without previwing it
first.  I generally like to list the contents of zips and tarballs for
that reason; not so much it might be a bomb but I want to know what
directory things are going to be dumped into.  Most tarballs create
their own directory where most zips don't.  But either one could
sprinkle themselves into multiple directories all they want.

Of course, somebody could stick a shell script or perl program or even
a linux binary and if you go off and run it without knowing what it
is, well.....  Again another plug for not doing day to day things
while logged on as root.

If you *MUST* use a windows mail client, use one that doesn't support
active content, that putrid HTML mail.  Or at least some way to turn
off active content.  And most important, DON'T OPEN ATTACHMENTS when
you don't know where they came from and why.

--
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!