Dectalk PC driver

Tom and Esther Ward tward1978 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 6 20:45:37 EST 2004

Hi. In Linux when you are compiling the Linux kernel  kernel drivers can be
compiled in two ways. They can either be compiled directly in to the kernel,
or they can be compiled as a stand alone module that can be loaded in to
memory at runtime.
For example in order to boot your computer the kernel must have certain
information such as file system, hard drive, cdrom, motherboard support, etc
compiled directly in the kernel in order to start.
Typically, all other unnecessary stuff like scanners, sound cards,
joysticks, etc are compiled as a stand alone driver module that gets loaded
later in the boot process when the modules.conf is read and all that
hardware is brought on line.
The advantage of a module is that unlike drivers that are compiled directly
in a kernel a stand alone module can be manually loaded or unloaded with
insmod and rmmod. Certain devices as the Dec PC can only except a stand
alone module as that is how the device was made.
Hth.