fdisk stuff

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Sat Mar 6 01:07:41 EST 2004

Do the following to accomplish this:

1. Backup all data on the home filesystem. This is important, as the
procedure you are about to perform can result in data loss.

2. Take the system to single user by issuing this command:

telinit 1

3. Start fdisk with the name of the disk.

fdisk /dev/hdb

4. Type "p" at the prompt. Make a note of the starting cyllindar for
the partition containing /home/. You'll need this later.

5. Delete the unwanted partition using the "d" command in fdisk.

6. Delete the partition containing /home. (don't worry, we'll get it
back.)

7. Enter the "n" command to create a new partition. When prompted for
the starting cyllendar, make sure to specify the same starting
cylendar as the one noted in step 4. For the last cylendar, make sure
to specify something greater than or equal to the previous size for
/home.

8. Write the partition table with the "w" command. If you are
prompted that the partition table is in use, you will need to restart
the system before continuing. However, this should not be the case as
long as the root filesystem is not on the /dev/hdb drive. If you do
need to restart, make sure to start in single user, and to unmount
filesystems on /dev/hdb again before continuing.

9. Use ext2resize to increase the size of the /home filesystem.

That's it! Now, just remount filesystems and go back to runlevel 3 or
what ever the normal runlevel for your system is.
- ---
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net