installing slackware over serial line

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Fri Jun 25 18:39:28 EDT 2004

I don't know what to tell you. However, if you can't modify the
RAMdisk image, and can't use speakup for whatever reason, there is
another way to bring up a serial console, assuming you can login
without speech.

1. Login into the RAMdisk-based system once you boot.

2. Do:

cat >/etc/inittab

Then type:

s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100

replace ttyS0 if you need to. Then, hit enter, followed by ctrl+d.

3. type:

telinit q

Hopefully, your serial console should come up.

Also note that if you have to use the earlier slackware versions
without speakup in the official distro, I believe the older
speakup-modified slackware disk images are still on bumpy. Hth.

Greg