Terminal emulation when connecting to solaris boxes

Sean M McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Wed Jun 23 17:54:27 EDT 2004

In my shell source file on work's solaris box, I set the terminal variable
to vt100 because that worked relatively well with windows but it still had
it's problems.  When I tried to connect to that machine using my new
debian box, I was surprised to discover the same problems, it can't
backspace in emacs properly in some applications like sftp and doesn't
understand all the emacs key bindings.  What terminal type is my linux box
 and how can I make Debian and Solaris talk better?
Sean