reporting dictionary attacks

Dawes, Stephen Stephen.Dawes at calgary.ca
Wed Jun 23 11:18:30 EDT 2004

> On the contrary. I think since the black list providers (in some
> cases) are doing this for free, it is the ISP's responsibility to keep
> black list providers up to date regarding their dynamic or static IP
> addresses.

OK, using your way of thinking then, the internet should never work.
There are DNS servers that update  IP to domain name information for
free every time a change is sent to them.  Why is it that DNS servers
can remain up-to-date at no cost to these users, but black lists cannot
implement a similar means of keeping themselves current? It is because
all they are interested in is closing the door, locking it once it is
closed, and then throwing away the key. To me, a service is a function
that is provided and kept current. If black lists cannot keep themselves
current then they are not much of a service. They are more of an
annoyance then anything.

I agree that I can go to my ISP and try to get my IP address removed
from the black list, but I argue that I shouldn't have to, after all I
don't go to my ISP every time I need to update the free DNS server that
I use.

You are partly right about the ISP's involvement of IP addresses and
black lists. My research leads me to believe that it is the owner of an
IP address, or a block of IP addresses can work with black lists to have
the IP address(es) removed from a black list. On the other hand, they do
not do the reverse and get their IP address(es) added to black lists.
For proof of this there are many articles out there that talk about how
some one has turned on black list checking at different companies only
to find that they could no longer send, receive or access the companies
email.

Check out:
Why spam could destroy the Internet
By David Berlind
http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2897473,00.h
tml
Although this article was written in 2002, it is still relevant today.

Understanding realtime black lists
By Diane Poremsky
http://www.outlookpower.com/issues/issue200304/00001011001.html
This article talks about my problem with black lists, and how they are
more problem then they are worth.

Avoid Email Blacklists
By Matt Blumberg,
http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/3276.asp
This article suggests that it is the email recipient that causes IP
address(es) to be added to blacklists.

When DNS blacklists go bad
By Mark Brunelli, News Writer
http://searchdomino.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid4_gci9587
51,00.html
Among other things, this article talks about the short comings of
blacklists.

Lastly, check out the google search:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22blacklists%22&ie=UTF-8&hl=en
for more on blacklists.

Steve Dawes
Phone: (403) 268-5527
Email: SDawes at calgary.ca

NOTICE::
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and cooperation.