parallel port types

Debee Norling NorlingDeborah at fhda.edu
Tue Jun 22 19:05:56 EDT 2004

It is likely the problem's with your BIOS or cable and not with Linux.

Try getting help looking at your BIOS settings -- write down whatever it's
set to and change it. I have worked for a decade in tech support and know
that just because BIOS says the port is ECP, or AT standard doesn't mean
that's how it is really set. Sometimes the message in the BIOS setup program
doesn't match how the BIOS actually sets up the port.

And even though Linux doesn't talk to the BIOS, it does talk to the
hardware, and BIOS configures those settings directly and permanently.

It's also a real good idea to just try another cable. I had a Braille
embosser which, with only one computer and one particular cable printed
complete gibberish. But when I examined the gibberish closely I realized
that the ASCII value of every character was incremented by two. This problem
was solved by using another cable, even though the cable I was using worked
fine with a laserjet on another PC.

--Debee