Installing speakup with software speech

Jacob Schmude jschmude at adelphia.net
Tue Jun 22 02:38:57 EDT 2004

Hi
	Telnet's your answer then. It's a real pain to navigate with any
windows telnet client IMHO, but if you use the standard linux telnet it
reads perfectly. Make sure your ISOs are relatively recent (June 7, I
believe) since telnet was fixed in those. Start the install with:
text telnet
at the boot: prompt. If you don't know what IP you'll be given, but you
know an IP that's free, use:
text telnet ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Of course, put the actual IP numbers in there. Once the CD drive starts
spinning, telnet into the IP address. If you use linux telnet, you won't
even know the difference as far as the speaking install goes. In fact,
when I did it, once I ejected the wrong CDrom drive when it told me to
change disks. The only problem is... telnet server may not be installed.
This means that once you install and reboot, you may not be able to get
back in. For this reason I'd recommend putting the telnet-server RPM on a
floppy and installing it as the installation ends. Also, you'll have to
customize the firewall during installation and check the box next to
telnet, since you'll have to get back in once installation is finished.
 To do this, when the
installer prompts you to reboot, press ctrl+z instead. Now,  chroot into
your new installation like so:
chroot /mnt/sysimage
	Now mount that floppy:
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
or in the case of a USB floppy:
mount /dev/sda /mnt/floppy
create /mnt/floppy if it says the mount point isn't valid. Now install the
telnet-server RPM. OK, one more thing to do, remove the firstboot RPM:
rpm -e firstboot
Some people like to just turn it off but I don't see any reason to have it
lying around. Now, exit the chroot shell. Hold on, two more files to edit:
	As the editor, use "pico". This is not pico, it launches the joe
editor in pico mode--nano won't work under telnet and vi doesn't track
correctly. First, edit:
/mnt/sysimage/etc/inittab
	This is standard procedure, change the default runlevel to 3.
There's a line reading:
id:5:initdefault:
change that 5 to a 3.  ctrl+x to exit and save. NOw, edit:
/mnt/sysimage/etc/xinetd.d/telnet
	You'll see a line in there that says:
disable = yes
change that to:
disable = no
	This ensures that you can telnet into your newly installed system
and either get speech running or set up SSH for a more secure
connection. Once speech is set up, I highly recommend closing the telnet
service unless you're going to be using it for some reason.
Well, hope this helps you out.
Note that the speakup-provided kernels already have the sftsyn module
ready to be modprobed.