Linux / which synthesiser card for speakup

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Jun 20 12:52:22 EDT 2004

Obviously, the choice of synthesizer will depend on what sound you
like.  I happen to like the speakout from GW Micro systems but I also
find the accent line of synths to work pretty good.  Both of those are
no longer being built very unfortunately! A lot of folks like the
Double Talk from RC systems.  Doesn't sound to bad to me but I don't
own one to say any further on it.

As for working with the Slackware environment, you're in good shape.
You probably have everything you need software wise except for the
latest speakup version.  I would just download a checkout script from
linux-speakup.org and run it as root on your computer.  Oh, sorry, got
ahead of myself; better get the latest kernel source (2.4.26 or 2.6.6)
and then run the checkout script.  That will update the kernel with
the latest speakup patches and then you can choose your synth during
the 'make config' or 'make menuconfig' step.  I'm assuming you
understand about compiling kernels.

If this is all new to you, you could simply copy in the kernel image
from speakup.s boot directory of your slackware CD #1.  That is a
generic IDE and SCSI kernel equipped with speakup 1.5 and all
available hardware synths.

HTH.