ACPI help

Jacob Schmude jschmude at adelphia.net
Thu Jun 17 17:20:51 EDT 2004

Hi all
 	Well, I got linux on my new laptop and got all the hardware
working. I wound up putting slackware on and not Fedora, since the
performance of Fedora on the laptop was extremely slow and I couldn't
figure out why. Yes, I checked the CPU frequency scaling governors and
they were set to performance, but it still ran slow. Anyway, I got slack
on and it's running fine, except for ACPI. I can't get the regexp for some
of my events correct. What I want to do is for it to start laptop mode
when the AC adapter is unplugged, and to stop laptop mode when the AC is
plugged in. I've gotten it partially working--it will stop laptop mode
when the AC is plugged in. However, I can't seem to get it to start laptop
mode when the AC is unplugged. The relevant lines from my
/etc/acpi/events/events.conf are:
event=ac_adapter.*00
action=/usr/local/bin/startlt
event=ac_adapter.*01
action=/usr/local/bin/stoplt
 	Startlt and stoplt are custom scripts I've written to turn on
laptop mode and set the correct HD parameters for standby and such, and to
adjust the powersave governors correctly. It's the first event that
doesn't work, and I'm stuck as to why. I've tried everything I could think
of, including putting the entire text of the relevant events in--but if I
do that then none of them work. events.conf is a file I created to
override slackware's default acpi-handler.sh script, which doesn't work
properly on my machine. Can anyone help here? The complete text for both
events is:
ac_adapter AC 00000080 00000000
ac_adapter AC 00000080 00000001
 	The first event is what is generated when the AC is unplugged, the
second is what is generated when it's plugged in. The only thing different
about them is the final digit, which is what I'm trying to work with. Can
anyone help with this? If worse comes to worse, I'll use APM, but I'm not
sure how good this laptop's APM support is as it was primarily designed
for ACPI.
THX