2.6 kernel status

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 15:17:59 EDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've asked this a while back. Is the 2.6 series of kernels ready for
> production use (I.E. should I go ahead and upgrade my slackware 9.1
> server to 2.6.6)? Back when I asked this, a number of people responded
> that they wouldn't go putting 2.6 on a server just yet, and to wait a
> while until distributions come out with it.
>
> I know that fedora is 2.6 based, but are other distros? Are there
> slackware folks here running 2.6 on production boxes? If I do upgrade
> to 2.6.6, what are the pit falls I should watch out for in terms of
> slackware packages which I might need in slack 9.1?
>
> I've seen more and more folks on here upgrading to 2.6.6, so I thought
> I'd ask this again, and get everyone's impressions the second time
> around. Thanks.

Gentoo still views it as developmental, but it seems pretty stable to me
here, though because of all the stuff I've compiled in, the kernel image
is over 1800 kb!

The only problem I've found is that for some reason, on some boot-ups, and
there's no reason for these happenings, the root file system, despite the
boot messages, never gets remounted read/write, which causes lal sorts of
probs, such as clamd not starting, and b eing unable to do much because
/tmp is read-only, this also means you can't reboot cleanly because it
can't write half the tuff it needs to, in other words, it's a mess.
However, using e3fs I just hit the reset and it comes up nicely, sometimes
this takes 2 or 3 goes, though recently I haven't had this problem quite
so much, but I'm baffled by it much the same.  Therefore I probably
wouldn't use it on production systems as if they have to be reb ooted
remotely or on a timed sequence you could loose service from them.

Apart from that though, I'm happy with it.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808