starting over

Jeff Jacobson jeffjac2 at Bluewater-Publishing.com
Wed Jun 16 10:44:55 EDT 2004

Hi,

I had no luck with the 2.6.6 kernel. I was able to build it with the speakup
cvs installed, however it would not boot on my machine. I think there were
just too many options in the "make config" that I was probably not selecting
correctly. My source trees were fairly messed up by the time I finished
trying to install 2.4.17, 2.4.25 and 2.6.6, and the Package Manager APT was
so hosed it wouldn't run or repair.

So I tried installing from the "Speakup Enabled Boot Floppies" and though
they load, there were no drivers for my network card and it would not read
my Debian iso image CD.

Here is my current plan of attack, and any suggestions would be appreciated:

1) I'm performing a fresh install over the Internet of Debian 2.2.20. I'm
building a minimal systems this time and will add X Windows and such later.

2) Patch the kernel up to version 2.4.17 and then 2.4.25. When the kernel is
building and running without problems, move on to step 3.

3) Install the speakup cvs. If and when I can get this far, I'll start
installing Apache, Samba, X Windows, etc.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jeff