Compiling my kernel

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Thu Jun 10 15:05:15 EDT 2004

Just to add to what Chuck said, you will find that make config is the
hardest part of the whole kernel building process. Unfortunately, you
need to be familiar with your particular machine's hardware, and with
what you want out of the kernel, in order to be able to answer the
questions in make config in the best way.

If you haven't done so already, have a look at the kernel building
howto ... oh wait, they've removed it ... but there seems to be a more
or less finished replacement (according to what tldp.org says), at:

http://www.digitalhermit.com/~kwan/kernel.html

Also, if you've installed the linux-howtos-20030907-noarch-1 package
from the f series on your slackware system, you should have a copy of
the old kernel building howto in /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs/Kernel-HOWTO
Hth.

Greg