Speakup Soft Speech--What's the status?

Sergei Fleytin fleytin at mail.ru
Tue Jun 8 00:28:56 EDT 2004

Hello, Kirk,

KR> I didn' say anything about what can be done with previously
KR> inserted mark-up but that is not on the fly. I said in context
KR> which is a much more difficult issue and I'd like to see how you'd
KR> do it considering that many words which are considered foreign to
KR> some languages are pronounced differently depending on the
KR> language. Unless you do inline mark-up it is going to be very
KR> difficult.

I think that it depends on a particular language. For example, all
letters in Russian language are 8 bit character so technically
switching between Russian and English wouldn't be so difficult. I
myself am using a speech synthezis that does exactly this thin. Though
i agree that for the languages where most of the symbols are latin it
would be a non trivial task.

With best regards,

Sergei.