Speakup Soft Speech--What's the status?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Jun 6 20:11:36 EDT 2004

Yes, you can actually switch synthesizers on the fly including
software; the name of the soft synth is sftsyn.  I built a script I
use which can switch synths on the fly.  It needs a bit more
refinement but works for me in its present state.  It works great on
my Hitachi laptop but gives me a problem on my desktop at home.  For
some reason, I get an error with Speechd-up and I have to manually
killall speechd_up and then run it again from the colsole and then it
talks.  I run this script from /etc/rc.d in Slackware with the
following command syntax:
/etc/rc.d/rc.speakup start sftsyn
The second parameter can be any of the supported synths for speakup as
long as your kernel supports it and you have that model, of course:).
I will attach it inline below.
- ----- begin script -----
#!/bin/sh
#
# Shel script to load and unload a modularized version of Speakup
#

case "$1" in
   'start')
      synth="$2"
      if [ "$synth" = "sftsyn" ]; then
         /usr/local/bin/speech-dispatcher
      fi
      echo "$synth" >/proc/speakup/synth_name
      if [ "$synth" = "sftsyn" ]; then
         sleep 1
	 /usr/local/bin/speechd_up
      fi
      /usr/local/bin/speakupconf load
   ;;
   'stop')
      synth=`cat /proc/speakup/synth_name`
      if [ "$synth" = "softsynth" ]; then
         synth="sftsyn"
	 killall -9 speechd_up
	 killall -9 speech-dispatcher
      fi
      echo "none" >/proc/speakup/synth_name
      sleep 1
      /sbin/modprobe -r "speakup_$synth"
   ;;
   'restart')
      $0 stop
      sleep 1
      $0 start "$2"
   ;;
   *)
      echo "usage $0 start|stop|restart <synth>" ;;
esac
- ----- end script -----

- --
HolmesGrown Solutions