announcing: Rita The Reader

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 2 17:46:27 EDT 2004

Hi.
I, for one, use a Dectalk Express to read books using good old Word Perfect
5.1 with ASAP in a DOS box under Windows.  ASAP has a "Read by Screens"
feature which would work similarly to what you're thinking of.  The
difference is that, since ASAP is the actual screen reader, it is in direct
communication with the speech synthesizer and therefore, through the use of
index markers, it can tell when the speech has finished and it can move to
the next screen.  This results in a 1 to 2 second delay each time a screen
changes but it's well worth it.  Since your program is to be used in
conjunction with Speakup, it probably can't have the direct communication
with the synthesizer which would be required to make it perfect, unless Kirk
has added, or does add, some kind of a standard interface between such
programs and the synthesizer Speakup is using.
Jayson.