gnome

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Jun 2 10:51:04 EDT 2004

Oopps, I have two other points that should have been in my last message. Sorry. Here they are:

4.)	Pcspkr is also important when starting a graphical desktop, especially when you're running at the runlevel that starts this automatically. A beep is played just as the login dialog appears on screen. So, this is a very important reason to make sure that your beeps are enabled during the boot process.

5.) You should also add a beep to lilo or grub--whichever you use.

For grub, use an editor like vim that can put Ctrl-G chars into text. I put a Ctrl-G right ahead of, and right behind the title of my kernel. You also have to defeat the splash image in order to hear this beep. So the three critical lines of grub.conf become:

timeout=20
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358spk)

Of course, your exact entries may be different, but this should help give you the idea.

BTW: To input a control char in vim, first issue Ctrl-V and the you can just do Ctrl-G and it will be pasted into the text.

For lilo, you would create a text /boot/message file and then rerun lilo. Here's an example:

Welcome to Toccata!