gnome

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Jun 2 09:38:14 EDT 2004

I understand. However, the point remains that all the graphical screen readers are still developmental. They don't really work yet, to put it in simple words. There are two, however, gnopernicus and orca. Still, you'd best be quite expert at Linux to start mucking around with them. That's part of what I mean by "not ready."

On the other hand, Speakup isn't all command line. Programs like Mutt, Pine, and the Lynx and Links web browsers are not command line, strictly speaking. They present interfaces on screen, and they provide builtin help mechanisms. You should still consider Speakup even if you don't consider yourself good with command lines.

The truth of the matter is that you're still going to need Speakup some of the time even when the day comes that you can perfectly well use Gnopernicus all day long. Why? Because Gnopernicus won't speak until absolutely everything is loaded and running. Speakup, on the other hand, speaks from the very beginning of the process. So, if there's something amis and you need to ask for help--that's where you're going to get the information that people who want to help you are going to need in order to help you.

Or, look at this this way. Let's say it's now the year 2012 and you're using Gnopernicus with Open Office and Mozilla all day long. But, you can't get on the Internet--and you don't know why. All of a sudden it just stopped working.

The fix could be a very simple fix, but you can't easily debug the situation with GUI tools. Perhaps you can use the GNOME Terminal. But, the GNOME Terminal is a command line inside the GUI. So, why not have the Caddilac of command line accessibility at hand?

No, there's no day in the future when Speakup goes away. We're always going to need it.