speakup.s boot disk in slack 10

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sat Jul 31 21:05:31 EDT 2004

Greg,

Thanks for your detective work. In order to do a network install in the
presence of the defective speakup.s boot image, here is what I did:

I prepared a Slackware 9.1 speakup.s bootdisk and network.dsk diskette.
I booted with the bootdisk, but used install.1 and install.2 diskettes
from Slackware 10.0. Then I configured the network with the network.dsk
diskette from Slackware 9.1. It went smoothly from there, until it asked
me for a kernel image to use at the end of the installation. I had to
have a speakup.s image called "vmlinuz" on an MS-DOS formatted floppy to
use at that point.

Chuck

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> A few days ago, someone reported (I believe it was Chuck) that when
> booting using the speakup.s floppy image in slackware 10, there is no
> speech, even though the install.1 and install.2 root disks load just
> fine. I have just verified this observation to be correct. When I boot
> the speakup.s floppy from slackware 10 with a bns on ttyS0, I get no
> speech, and the install.1 and install.2 root disks load just fine here
> as well. However, if I boot with the speakup.s image from slackware
> 9.1, the bns starts chattering away just fine.
>
> Wanting to investigate this further, after the install.2 disk finished
> copy of the dmesg output on that floppy. Before I go on, I want to
> point out that when speakup.s loaded, at the boot prompt I typed:
>
> ramdisk speakup_synth=bns
>
> Below is the relevant portion of the dmesg output that I got when
> booting with the floppies from slackware 10.
>
> Linux version 2.4.26 (root at tree) (gcc version 3.3.4) #33 Mon Jun 14
> 19:26:13 PDT 2004
> BIOS-provided physical RAM map:
> BIOS-e801: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009f000 (usable)
> BIOS-e801: 0000000000100000 - 0000000003000000 (usable)
> 48MB LOWMEM available.
> On node 0 totalpages: 12288
> zone(0): 4096 pages.
> zone(1): 8192 pages.
> zone(2): 0 pages.
> DMI not present.
> Kernel command line: vmlinuz ramdisk_size=7000 root=/dev/fd0u1440
> vga=normal rw SLACK_KERNEL=speakup.s
> Initializing CPU#0
> Detected 133.644 MHz processor.
> Speakup v-2.00 CVS: Mon Jun 7 10:52:38 EDT 2004 : initialized
> Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
> Calibrating delay loop... 266.24 BogoMIPS
> Memory: 45168k/49152k available (1982k kernel code, 3596k reserved,
> 673k data, 120k init, 0k highmem)
> Dentry cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
> Inode cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
> Mount cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
> Buffer cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
> Page-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
> initialized device: /dev/synth, node ( MAJOR 10, MINOR 25 )
>
> These are the only mentions of speakup in the entire dmesg
> output. Also, notice that while I typed:
>
> ramdisk speakup_synth=bns
>
> at the boot prompt, the dmesg output shown above says:
>
> Kernel command line: vmlinuz ramdisk_size=7000 root=/dev/fd0u1440
> vga=normal rw SLACK_KERNEL=speakup.s
>
> I tried this process twice more, and got the dmesg output twice more,
> all with the same results.
>
> I had a look at the files in the speakup.s images from slackware 9.1,
> and 10.0, but don't notice any obvious differences, especially when
> carefully examining syslinux.cfg on both images.
>
> Obviously, there is a problem somewhere in the speakup.s image in
> slackware 10.0, but darned if I know what that problem is.

> [...]

The Moon is Full
My home page is at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh