Informing re: accessible website

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Fri Jul 23 11:34:28 EDT 2004

I've been having a conversation with one of my grocery stores here in town
that has a service for web ordering and delivery (actually the service
includes this store plus two or three others in different towns). I
couldn't shop with it at all in lynx the cat or links the chain but did,
with great effort, make it through an order using freedombox, which means
that eventually those using gnopernicus and/or orca probably would be able
to do it with mozzilla. freedombox has a program called C-saw, whereby you
can put labels on imaged links and then submit them to a repository so
others on freedombox will see those when they go to the website instead of
just "link" "link" "link" for a lot of the links. However, the submission
key mapping for c-saw is alt+s, which the site uses to jump people to the
recipe search box. I can, however, still use alt+l, which is used in c-saw
to do the initial labeling, to look at the image url and link url.
I talked to somebody involved in the grocery deliver department, though
not a technical person. She seemed genuinely interested in how the website
could be made accessible. I'm afraid I wasn't very good at explaining to
her why, if they have a link with a graphic that does have the words for
the link within the graphic, I don't even get the words displayed. when I
explained to her that with C-saw I could see the name of the url and
thereby often deduce what it was but couldn't use the C-saw program
because they have alt=s (the key mapping used to do c-saw submissions)
mapped to a recipe search box, she immediately offered to talk to their
web design person about removing the alt+s keymapping from their site.
I've frankly never had anybody be so responsive. she also wanted to know
if I could point her to a website they could use as an example of how to
do things accessibly. This is where my writing to this list comes in. Can
anybody point me to a webpage to which I can point her for an example of
how they can still do their graphics but make the site accessible for
blind people? Also, is there a webpage that gives information they can
read
about how they could implement accessibility on their website with the
least wear and tear possible. I don't have to be as concerned about
javascript in freedombox, though I certainly am going to explain that this
can be an added barrier. If anybody wants to try looking at the website
with which I am dealing, it's http://www.sentryonthego.com
You'll see that by looking at the url title at the bottom of your page
when you are at each link, you can often get an idea what the link is but
not always. And to enter the store they use some kind of button that even
on  links the chain just gives you an ok at the bottom of the page and
nothing happens when you try to use the link; you can get into the tour
and the tips for shopping but that's it. In freedombox i can shop using
the search box they have, but I haven't yet found the link that helps you
browse the aisles as they describe so I don't know if I'm missing it or if
there's some other reason I just can't get there. There are a whole lot of
inaccessibility issues with this website but I don't want to overwhelm
them by telling them to change a whole bunch of things at once. If they do
go ahead and drop the alt+s mapping it would indicate to me that they are
serious about accommodating blind customers. In that case, I'd like to
give
them the tools for educating themselves about what would help with their
site and give them some space to see how far they take it. I think when
somebody shows an eagerness to do what needs to be done to make a site
accessible, we want to encourage that, and sometimes if we point out a
whole list of things at once we can overwhelm people into feeling they
can't do what is needed and so they may react by doing absolutely
nothing. I think I may have a really receptive business here (they are
also usually very helpful to blind shoppers who come into the store) and i
would like to make the most of it.
Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Cheryl