Utc

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Jul 23 09:00:04 EDT 2004

Over the past few years I've grown increasingly reliant on my portable
computer. This includes using AT as my alarm clock when I travel. I have
found it fully reliable, but I have also found that I need to give it
time in the time zone which my computer defaults to. In my case, that's
EST.

Of course, calculating this can become a tad tricky when one is many
time zones distant. So, I've added a few key aliases to my bashrc such
as the ones below. These give me simple commands that return the current
time for various areas of the planet:

alias est="TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern date" #Eastern Time
alias cst="TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Central date" #Central Time
alias mst="TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Mountain date" #Mountain Time
alias pst="TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific date" #Pacific Time
alias hst="TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/HST date" #Hawaii
alias sst="TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/Pacific/Pago_Pago date" #Samoa
alias wst="TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Perth date" #Perth
alias jst="TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/Japan date" #Japan
alias ist="TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/Israel date" #Israel
alias bst="TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/GB date"

Of course, these aliases take account of local daylight time shifts,
even though their names wouldn't change.

I have often thought it would be fun to have tools to return time for
cities by name, along with other pertinent data such as longitude,
lattitude, etc. At least the time part helps when you're making phone
calls around the planet.

Hope this helps.