speakup w/ software synth

Igor Gueths igueths at lava-net.com
Tue Jul 20 12:25:50 EDT 2004

You need to obtain Speech-dispatcher, and speechd_up. Both can be obtained at www.freebsoft.org. You're also going to need either Flite or Festival. If you want better voices than are provided
by Festival/Flite, your only option then is to pay $50 for the software Dectalk as sold by Fonix. You're also going to have to create a device called softsynth in /dev. I forget the exact
major number that device uses, check the Speechd_up README for that. For reference purposes, Speechd-dispatcher is the speech server that communicates to the synthesizer i.e., Flite.
Speechd_up is the client that connects to Speech-dispatcher, and captures output from sftsyn, which in turn gets its input from the console. I believe that's how the chain so to speak goes
anyway. People have been having various amounts of luck with this software combination, some say it works...Others say that it doesn't work for whatever reason...I have yet to try it myself.
Good luck!