Linux on Dell laptop?

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Fri Jul 16 19:15:13 EDT 2004

Does your Dell Laptop have Serial ATA hard drives by any chance?  If it
does, you could be in for trouble.  My brand new Dell Dimension 8300
desktop has a serial ATA hard drive, and the only way I got Linux working
on it was to build a 2.6.7 kernel on my old computer with support for
Serial ATA and use that to boot with.  BTW, at least for the chipset I
have, Serial ATA is treated like SCSI, so my hard drive ended up being
seen as /dev/sda.  Once I got the kernel finally working, things were
fine.