Linux on Dell laptop?

Erik Heil eheil at va3duk.serveftp.com
Fri Jul 16 11:08:15 EDT 2004

Hi Igor.  I'm having the same problem on my Inspiron 8600 machine.
Unfortunately, I'm not at all familiar with BIOS settings on Dell laptops.
Like everything else, their's no standard for accessing BIOS settings.  So
while I'm on the topic of laptops, has anyone gotten any distro of Linux
to run on Inspiron 8000 series machines?  I think I may have seen an
article to this effect, but I have no idea about the audio subsystem,
network card, and the modem, as well as the integrated 802.11G wireless
PCI adapter that's onboard here.  I know for a fact that the chipset is a
Broadcom 440BX series.  Audio subsystem according to Winblows is a
SigmaTell Audio controller or something.  I've never even hard of these.
Perhaps it uses a different chipset?  not sure here.  Let me know if
anyone has had success.  B/c I'm about to ditch Winblows here for good.

--
Erik Heil <eheil at va3duk.serveftp.com>
Phone: (865) 673-0542