windy.com can be played: attention Freg Nowak

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sun Jul 11 17:19:50 EDT 2004

This was a post from back in May, so maybe you figured it out by now but
if not, here's how you can get that stream to play.

1. Go to www.live.com and download the tar.gz file for the streaming
media. Follow the instructions given onsite for installing it. By the way,
you won't need to worry about libavcodec as it will already be present in
the player i'm recommending you use.

2. Download and/or compile mplayer. This includes getting the codec
package that has "all" at the beginning and you can also get the fonts
file of your choice (don't know if that is necessary). I really recommend
that you use either
cvs directly or go to the cvs directory in the mirrors and get the latest
mplayer tar ball; it will have current on it and be at the bottom of the
directory
though the directory you end up with when you unzip it is actually
MPlayer-{date} (whatever the date of it is will be appended to the
mPlayer-).
Do ./configure --enable-live
then do make and install per usual.

3. Run mplayer with either of these urls:
http://www.wnnd.com/lie/wnnd/.asx
or
rtsp://live.bonnevillechicago.com/wnnd
or
mms://live.bonnevillechicago.com/wnnd
The first two urls do require the -playlist switch; the mms:// does not.
If you do a >error.txt 2>&1 with this and read the resulting file, you'll
see some object unknown comments but it does play.
The way I tracked down this url was as follows:
I used links the chain (links2 with javascript support) to go to
www.windy100.com/listen.php
I hit enter on the link that says "click here to listen live"; there are
other links that just say "listen live" but you probably already know they
don't go anywhere helpful.
You hit enter to allow the script.
This takes you to a link numbered 1 that says embed. At this point, you
can either try the url shown at the bottom of your screen up through the
.asx but without the question mark and following stuff, or you can hit
enter on the embed and choose the display option, where you find all sorts
of urls, including the rtsp and mms url. the mms:// url is probably the
most direct as it doesn't require the -playlist switch (the other two do
require it).
The mms:// url shouldn't necessarily need the live.com installation;
however, now that I have that installed I can open the station audio
directly when I hit the embed link; this can be done if one has mplayer
added to associations in links. Before adding the live.com install, I
could not do this.
Hth; ENJOY!!!

--
Cheryl