setiathome

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Jul 3 20:30:39 EDT 2004

setiathome is one of a few ongoing distributed computing projects.  The
goal of this project is to locate extraterestrial communications in space.
Linux can run software as well as other operating systems to do this work
once it's downloaded onto your computer.  The software is supposed to do
its work when the computer is left on line and unused.  If other more
complex tasks are ongoing then it's supposed to go inactive.  The software
downloads files from astronomy observatories and then does the analysis on
what was found in those files then reports the analysis back to another
site.  I figure others on other worlds have managed to do travel between
star systems and probably don't even use radio spectrum for communications
because of the slow speed of communications.  I've got no idea what's
being used but I also think just on the odd chance we manage to find
another world with beings at or a little beyond our stage of development
this project might work.