What should Festival do better? (was: Speech Dispatcher 0.5 Release Candidate 1 available)

Jacob Schmude jschmude at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 2 16:01:48 EDT 2004

Hi
	I must agree with Greg on this one. It's a little better if you
use the kal16 voice, but it's still nowhere near anything like dec or
eloquence, or even the SSI-263 based synths like the artic or bns.
However, the big issue for me is responsiveness. This, to put it frankly,
festival is not. It shuts up just fine, but it takes at least a second to
begin speaking. This is a 2.13ghz athlon I'm talking about, and it takes a
second to speak a short line. If this line happens to be of a long length
(such as an email message listing) festival takes 3 seconds or more to
start speaking. This, in my mind, is simply unacceptable. I haven't had a
chance to grab 0.5rc1 yet, maybe this responsiveness has been improved.
After responsiveness gets fixed, what we need for festival is a
high-quality voice set. Come to think of it, flite and FreeTTS could use
this as well. At the moment festival's voice has no inflection to speak
of, only has pauses for punctuations, and frankly gives me a headache if I
listen to it for too long. If these issues were fixed I believe festival
would be a viable option. There's no way I'm going to go buy Cepstral, as
the $30 per voice policy doesn't sit well with me, I consider that a
rip-off, I don't care how good the voice sounds. I'll be sticking with
dectalk 5 for now, but if festival had a better voice and better
responsiveness, I'd most definitely use it. And, of course, all flames
will be directed to /dev/null.