partitioning

David Csercsics aarg at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 31 13:58:37 EST 2004

>Hi,
>Does anyone have a recommendation of a nondestructive disk partitioner?
>I would like to resize a 5GB drive that has Win98SE on it.
>Also, any suggestions of partition sizes for a slackware 9.1 install =
>would be welcomed, especially the swap partition.  This machine has 48MB =
>of RAM.

Well I would go with 48 MB for swap then since Linux usually uses pretty
close to the same amount of swap as it does ram. That's a fairly small
swap though but it should be enough I would think especially since you
won't be running X and console stuff is generally not intensive enough
to use swap most of the time. I think that PartitionMagic is probably
the safest partition resizer. GNU Parted works as well though if you
can't afford the other. Just backup the existing install before you
resize. No resizer is perfect so be careful. As for as diskspace for
slack that depends on what you want install. I currently use up about
500-600 MBN or so on this one I think just for the various programs and
libraries needed for things to work so I'd say you need at least that
much but leaving a gig wouldn't hurt but keep in mind that Windows is
more of a resource hog than any other OS so give it more space than
Linux if it will be being used more often.