proxy arping?

Igor Gueths igueths at comcast.net
Fri Jan 30 17:23:12 EST 2004

Hi all. I have just recently had to check/send my mail using a friend's
box, and that's when I noticed my current problem. Whenever I remotely
run fetchmail, I periodically get a message similar to: "Disconnecting,
corrupted MAC on input." I then ran Ettercap to see if indeed this was a
Mac address problem. Then i noticed that the mac addresses for all the
listed hosts were the same. I also found out that the replying Mac
happens to be my current gateway (68.37.56.1). I found this out by
looking at my routing table/current arp cache. I take it there's no way
to disable/work around this, since this is on the ISP end? And why would
an ISP use Proxy_arp anyway? And just recently, I have found that my ssh
connections get killed with the same msg. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!