root.hints

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Thu Jan 22 20:09:40 EST 2004

I think you're asking the wrong question.

Instead, your question should be "How do I create a root.hints file?"

The answer to that is to run
dig @e.root-servers.net . ns >root.hints
This will put the current root servers into a file named
root.hints. You'll want to have a cron job to run this once a month or
so, to keep your list of root servers up to date.

Hth.

Greg