A topic of concern in Linux

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 18:49:15 EST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Alex Snow wrote:

> the reason this doesnt happen is because 95 or so percent of the
> deskop user market runs winblows so it wouldn't be worth it for a
> company to write such apps. further, linux doesn't have the gaping
> security holes that windows does which allow spyware to be installed
> without any user intervention.

Hmmm, not quite correct, but it is true to say that, for example, the
Outlook-type worm couldn't spread in Linux just because there's not an app
that works that way.  In addition, Winblows was not, orriginally, written
with networks in general and the Internet in particular in mind (MS
released a press release that indirectly stated this fact 2 or 3 years
ago), where that is precisely Linux's strength, and therefore it has
security built-in from the ground up, rather than being tagged on later.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808