getting rid of yucky emails

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Jan 19 10:43:08 EST 2004

I generally hate emails that just say "I agree." But this one is worth
underscoring, imho. I think turning on whatever one needs to turn on to
verify senders is one of the most powerful spam blocking approaches
around. Spamers love to hide. Verification seeks to ascertain that
there's a real there there before accepting mail.

Steve Holmes writes:
> From: Steve Holmes <steve at holmesgrown.com>
>
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:29:11AM -0600, Kenny Hitt wrote:
> > I'm not sure how you handle mail, but making your MTA really picky helps
> > keep some of them out as well.  In exim, options like sender_try_verify
> > and receiver_verify stop some of them from beeing delivered.
>
> In addition, exim has a filtering language which can be inserted into
> your .forward file too.  This could take the place of procmail or at
> least gives another option.  I use that to catch the Spam=yes string
> and throw them away.
>
> --
> HolmesGrown Solutions
> The best solutions for the best price!
> http://ld.net/?holmesgrown

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: +1 (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group