Sending mail via ISP's smtp server

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Sat Jan 17 14:08:48 EST 2004

Garrett,

If you want to stick with sendmail to direct mutt mail to your
ISP's smtp server, the steps are actually quite simple. Do this:

As root: Open the file /etc/mail/sendmail.cf with a text editor
you know how to use;

Find a line with only two characters on it, "DS" (in caps);

Add the name of your ISP's smpt server to that line immediately
after the "S", no spaces;

Close the file, saving the changes;

Then, still as root, restart the sendmail daemon by typing this
at a prompt:

/etc/rc.d/rc.sendmail restart

That will do the trick. But you have to ask mutt to strip off
your host name, and I cannot help you with that, since I am a
(happy) Pine user.

Chuck