Restoring grub

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-722-7209 wacker at octothorp.org
Fri Jan 16 23:40:00 EST 2004

Hi,

     Maybe you should consider it a good thing that WinXP messed up
once again and try to live without it.  But if you must have it, do this.
First, at a shell prompt, type mkbootdisk <kernel_version>.  I have the
latest Fedora Speakup kernel, so I'd say:
mkbootdisk 2.4.22-2f.nptlspk2
Actually, you can change directory to /lib/modules.
If you have only one kernel installed, just type mkbootdisk <tab>, where
<tab> is the tab key and backspace over the /.  Next, reinstall the ugly.
Using the bootdisk to
get back into Linux, do:
grub-install /dev/hda
This assumes that you're booting from the master disk on the first
controller.
          HTH.
--

Bill in Denver